Coolangatta Creek Catchment Management Plan
Catchment pollutant modelling | Riparian assessment | Aquatic fauna surveys | Community consultation
The purpose of the Coolangatta Creek Catchment Managment Plan was to provide an updated management tool that will enable GCCC, government agencies and stakeholders to take a co-ordinated approach to the protection and management of Coolangatta Creek.
A major outcome of the study has been the establishment of draft Environmental Values (EVs), draft Water Quality Objectives (WQOs), a CMP and an Action & Monitoring Plan (AMP) that has been developed in close consultation with all stakeholders. The AMP details the organisation responsible for recommended activities, prioritises actions, estimates costs and potential funding sources, and provides a performance indicator to measure the effect of the recommendations.
- To benchmark the ecological health of Coolangatta Creek
- Identify and map point sources of pollution
- Conduct community consultation to determine draft EV’s and WQO’s
- To develop a riparian and floodplain management plan
- To provide an integrated and strategic direction to the management of the Coolangatta Creek catchment
Partners & Stakeholders
- Gold Coast City Council
- Review of Environmental Values
- Assessment of current water quality within Coolangatta Creek
Project Value: $90,000
Challenges: Tight budget and time frame, catchment incorporating international airport and intermittent connection to NSW