Coolum STP Constructed Wetland Trial
Wetland modelling and design | construction supervision
This project involved the design and construction of a 7000m2 trial wetland to treat wastewater from the Coolum Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) and performance monitoring for five years.
- Detailed design and construction documentation
- Conversion of an existing sludge lagoon
- Bulk earthworks, pumps and electrical
- Importing 1750m3 of growing media
- Installation of 42,000 macrophytes
- Maintenance and monitoring for five years
- To establish design parameters for constructed wetlands suited to SE QLD climatic conditions.
Partners & Stakeholders
- Unity Water, Donnan, SEMF, Australian Wetlands Landscapes
- Initial results suggest the wetland is exceeding performance expectations.
Project Value: $1.3 million
Challenges: Sludge management and extreme wet weather